Friday, June 25, 2021

More from Colorado Springs

It's been pretty cool drinking my morning coffee while looking outward towards Pike's Peak. The much drier air of Colorado is nice, but it does take some adaptation. I am noticing more dryness in my eyes and nasal passages, but imagine that I would adapt if this were my home.

We haven't spent much time sight seeing, and that's really okay with me. I truly appreciate the natural wonder of the world, but somehow feel it is diminished by much of the capitalism that often surrounds it.
We went to Manitou Springs yesterday, had lunch and walked through the shops. The area reminded me of walking through the shops in Eureka Springs, AR. Today our plan is to check out The Garden of the Gods.

The kids' place is pretty much set up now. They are waiting on some ordered furniture, but are otherwise mostly settled in. At this point, we're probably more of a nuisance than a help to them. They are already settling into a routine that includes getting up an hour earlier for morning meetings since they are now on Mountain time. They'll be looking forward to having the house to themselves for a few days before more family arrives to visit them in their new digs.

I find the energy here to be very calming and serene. The home is located along a stream and walking/cycling trail. The sound of water running over gentle falls is a constant, soothing white noise. Yesterday a pair of mule deer were grazing right up against the back fence. I feel like there is a strong kind of healthy benefit from being close to nature. I'm glad that they can live in an urban area, but still have the trees, stream, and accompanying wildlife to keep things in a peaceful perspective. 

And in spite of the asinine politics and science denying fools that populate Southwest MO, I am looking forward to my back porch and a good cigar.
Right now my daughter is whining about breakfast, so I guess I'll do the dad thing and see what I can throw together. 

Have a peaceful day,
John

No comments: