Friday, June 04, 2021

Reading

Yesterday turned out to be a pretty long day, and it was the first day in about two months that I didn't do any reading!
I recently finished Richard Rohr's The Universal Christ. It is a very thought provoking book and if you are open to having what you believe challenged, it is a worthwhile read. If you are pretty steeped and fixed in your orthodoxy or fundamental Christian beliefs, you're probably just wasting your time and would only get angry at his suggestions about the greatness and grace-ness of God.

I'm about 40% through a book on the ancient Chinese teaching and philosophy of Tai Chi Chuan (it's nearly 1000 pages long). It's been a few weeks since I've been in this book and really need to get back to it.
And I'm about 1/3 of the way through an easy read fiction work called This Life or the Next.
Plus I'm still slowly working my way through the gospels. 
I always have my Kindle app on my phone, so I'm never really without anything to read. I did bring my Bible and pencil so that I can continue the old school way as I read the gospels.

I'm looking for another religion/philosophy book to add to the daily read. I'm thinking maybe something by Thomas Merton. I've got a few Rohr books on my list, as well as stuff by Thich Nhat Hanh. I'd be open to a woman author along those lines if anyone has a favorite author or book they'd like to recommend.

What are you reading?

John

No comments: