Tuesday, June 08, 2021

Back Home

Oh my! It was a good few days on the road, but it is always good to be back home -- even if only for a few days.

I was only a couple hundred miles into my trip (550 miles on the first day) before experiencing a flat tire. I had left home an hour earlier than planned so that I could take my time and have a little more leisurely drive. As it was, the early departure merely allowed me to have time to repair the tire and then arrive in Chicago a little bit later than planned.

No worries -- a couple of beers at The Haymarket and my favorite sandwich (The Riot) before seeing a White Sox winner with the kids and all was well in the world once again.

Friday was a short drive (not even 150 miles) to Mom's place in Metamora.
Friday night I spent a few hours catching up with a couple of old friends. I really haven't kept in touch with many of my high school classmates and have rarely spent any time with them when I've been home for quick visits with the folks.
I had such a good time meeting with these two old friends! 



We talked, laughed, and drank to old friends and old memories until well past 3AM.
Growing up in a small town with these guys and others like them was quite an experience. They reminded me of things I had forgotten, but were still buried in the far recesses of my ancient memories. It is a wonder that we survived to adulthood.
Damn, we did some stupid stuff!

Saturday we met with some more old friends. It was more subdued (and sober) than Friday night's activities, but every bit as good of an experience. 
Sunday was a laid back, chill sort of day. We didn't get to visit with some of the relatives we were hoping to see, but it was a good day with Mom. We went to Mass at The Community of St. John, visited Dad's grave, and had a good lunch at Mom and Dad's Sunday after Mass lunch place.
Before hitting the road on Monday, we had lunch with cousins that I haven't seen in ages.

While the weekend was full and just personal visits with old friends and family, it also served as a reminder of the value of past relationships and the importance of keeping and nurturing those relationships. Perhaps it was a year+ of pandemic restrictions that makes reuniting with and hugging old friends seem more important. Or maybe there is a greater awareness of my mortality as we remembered friends and family that are no longer living and able to be a part of our reunions.

Sometimes I look at Facebook and think, "Dang, my friends are all so old!" 
I image my friends look at me and think that they have an old friend!
The reality is that we are all getting older. Many of us have lost parents and we have all lost friends and classmates. Life is uncertain and fleeting.

I think I'm going to be more aware of the simple presence of people -- the preciousness of our existence. I'm going to try to make people feel good about themselves and good about the relationship I have with them. I know that is going to take some work and some reparation on my part. Please be patient with me. It is a work in progress.

John

No comments: