Saturday, March 20, 2021

Spring has Sprung!

It is the long awaited first day of Spring!
During the early hours of the morning the sun reached the equator on its journey northward toward the Tropic of Cancer. This was the first sunrise of Spring 2021 from my backyard.



I'm planning a kind of compass flower bed for the backyard. Yesterday I marked the center spot for the flower garden with a wooden stake. The plan is to replace it with a sundial. I was up early enough this morning to mark sunrise at the equinox with a smaller stake and will also mark tonight's sunset. I'll do the same for the summer and winter solstice. With this morning's sunrise pretty much due east, I could probably predict the solstice markings by moving north and south 23.5 degrees, but I'll wait for the actual sight verified marks.

It was just below freezing at sunrise this morning and that looks to be the last overnight freeze in the forecast for the season. That means it is time to plant flowers and over seed the lawn. So much work to do and money to spend! 
So far, I am enjoying the work. I am finding myself more aware of the earth's energy and I feel like I am in sync with it. It's weird to be aware of the energy flow that transforms seeds to plants that produce flowers or food and then return energy to the soil in decomposition and the cycle repeats. Observing the process and feeling the energy flow are different things. Perhaps it's just the awareness that comes from having the time to meditate and contemplate the world around me, but it is pretty peaceful and satisfying.

Sunny and 58 (14c) is the forecast for today, so I should be able to get some outdoor work in. I take it pretty easy and try to enjoy it more than looking at it as a task that needs to be accomplished or conquered. Even so, there is plenty to do and the days are not yet that long so I'm going to fuel myself with a good breakfast and get busy.

Happy Spring to all my Northern hemisphere friends!
And Happy Autumn to my friends and family Down Under!

John 

1 comment:

Mike said...

I hope the slightly below freezing temps last night didn't zap my magnolia that's trying to pop out.