Friday, July 14, 2023

When Our Focus is Wrong

Most of you that know me, know that I ride a motorcycle. As a rookie rider I undertook a long cross country trip and included some riding that was probably too advanced for my time in the saddle. While I definitely lacked experience, I was not totally unprepared. I read and watched motorcycle training videos to help prepare me for my solo ride.
My planned ride included riding the famed Tail of the Dragon, an 11 mile stretch of US 129 with 318 curves. I took a few rides along MO 125 and rode some of the twisty roads in Northern Arkansas to prep me. The instruction that I kept seeing to avoid ending up in a ditch or straying into the oncoming lane of traffic was to focus on the road you want to ride. If you focus on the ditch, you'll end up in the ditch. If you're watching the center line, you'll cross the center line. Watch where you're riding and you'll ride where you're watching.

It works.
Mountain bikers, trail runners, skiers -- are all taught the same thing. Look where you want to go. If you focus on the obstacles you want to miss you will invariably end up hitting them!

So...
Why do Christians and church leaders tend to focus so much on sin?
Isn't that counter-intuitive to the results we're hoping for?
Wouldn't reminders to be kind, to love our neighbors, to follow Jesus -- be better ways to encourage real Christianity than the constant turn or burn fear mongering that seems to be the bent of all of the outspoken, loudmouthed evangelical preachers, teachers, and disciples?

What if we stopped focusing on what we need to stop doing to get to heaven and started living like we're already living in the presence of God? 
What if salvation isn't about saving us for an afterlife heaven, but to allow us to experience heaven now?
What if Jesus wasn't about getting us from earth to heaven, but was about bringing heaven to earth?
"...Thy kingdom come, thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven."
"Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand (is here)."
Remember those words?

Just thoughts in my head this morning (after scrolling my Twitter feed).

John

1 comment:

John A Hill said...

When our focus is wrong, we tend to crash.