Thursday, July 06, 2023

Listen

I think listening is a lost art.
I don't even know if "art" is a good word for it, but people really aren't interested in listening anymore.
They just want to talk. 
Maybe a lost skill is a better way to look at it.

Oftentimes they will disguise their need to talk as conversation, but they aren't really interested in your half of the speaking time. Too often, people interrupt the speaker to give their reply before the speaker is finished, or even change the subject to something entirely different. I've actually had people ask a question and then interrupt my answer to respond, interject a comment, or ask another question.

A recent gratitude prompt asked to think about the person that you can count on to listen to you. I think you probably need to pay someone (a therapist) to have someone that will listen to you without judgement.

Why is it that we feel so certain that what we have to say is valuable, but we tend to dismiss what others have to say?

Maybe that's why writing this blog seems to be so therapeutic. I know I can write freely and without interruption. I'm not too worried about the judgement part. I've come to expect that. 

Do you ave a go-to person that will listen -- really listen to you?
If so, I think you are probably quite lucky?

John



No comments: