Thursday, May 05, 2022

May 5 (aka Cinco de Mayo) and The National Day of Prayer

Cinco de Mayo
The Mexican holiday that is primarily celebrated by non-Mexicans, because it's not really a Mexican holiday. As Mike notes on his blog, it seems to be an excuse to drink so we look like we're celebrating something rather than just drinking to be drinking.

Maybe I'll have some nachos today. Maybe not.

In other news
I'm chilling at my mom's place in Central Illinois as she recovers from her bout with COVID. She seems to be doing much better this morning after a couple of tough days. We'll be at her primary care physician later today for her post-hospitalization checkup. 
I'm probably not as good as other siblings at waiting on my mom. I'm just as likely to let her get up and get her own stuff as to get it for her. It's not that I'm being lazy or mean; it's just that she needs to move a bit, even if it's just walking to the kitchen and back. 
This morning looks like it's setting up to be a good day. We'll see how the day progresses.

The change in venue has me out of my normal routine. I've been spending a little more time scrolling those stupid reels on IG and Facebook than I usually do. There are a few entertaining ones that I like to follow, but mostly they are just a way to waste time. I haven't been as regular on reading the blogs I normally follow and find myself catching up by reading several days worth of blogs at once. 
The Central Illinois weather has been as wet and rainy as it is at home, so I have been pretty inactive and need to get moving. There will be plenty of work to do when I get back home. I guess I should just enjoy the rest.

Today is The National Day of Prayer.
I've always thought of it as a kind of stupid declaration--not because I think that prayer is stupid, but because I think that making prayer a part of some political show is stupid. I think that our current brand of Christian Nationalism is dangerous and am ashamed of the many people that have subverted their faith in God by exchanging it for the idolatry of worshiping a particular form of government or political ideals.
Having said that, if you are the praying type...well, our nation could use a little divine guidance these days so do your thing.

If you're not into the prayer thing, how about just being kind to one another?
That would work for me.

John

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry your mom has been sick . I has to be so comforting knowing her son is there to care for her . Look forward to getting together with and Chris when you get back home

Mike said...

"I think that making prayer a part of some political show is stupid."
You are absolutely right.

You need to go read Deb today. She has a good sort of religious post.
https://shewhoseeks.blogspot.com/2022/05/literal-belief-and-its-accompanying.html