Monday, May 30, 2022

A Story for Memorial Day

More than a decade has passed since I heard this story. I was traveling from Springfield MO to Wichita KS with my boss. We were going to a labor/management meeting at our hub facility. I can honestly say that I have no recollection of the meeting, nor the rest of the trip. But this man's story is something I will never forget.

It was the 60s. Vietnam was in full swing. My boss, wanting to serve his country, lied about his age and joined the Marines at 17. He made it to Vietnam and was assigned as a machine gunner on a rescue helicopter. I heard incredible tales of the rescue missions they flew, being pinned down in combat zones and having to wait for offshore cover from battleships at sea. He told me of gun battles with the enemy as the helicopter flew in to evacuate the wounded and hearing the thwack as bullets hit and killed his buddies sitting right next to him. 

I don't remember how long he spoke. It was probably about an hour into the 5+ hour drive when he started and his story lasted most of the drive. I was driving and I remember looking over at him. He was looking straight ahead, but not really looking at anything. His voice was even and steady as he spoke. Although there was no emotion in his voice, I could see that his eyes were moist and I imagine it took great effort to keep the tears from spilling out. He'd pause occasionally to collect his thoughts or steel his emotions and then he'd continue--like this was something he had to do.

When he finished, he thanked me for listening and told me that he had never told this to anyone before.
He said, "John, I made a lot of promises to a lot of dying soldiers and marines. 'Tell my parents I love them.' 'Tell my wife I love her.' 'Promise me,' "
He told me that even as he made those promises, he knew he could never keep them. Even though more than 30 years had passed since he made those promises, he felt like it was time to do his best to fulfill them. He wanted to start telling his story--to men's groups, to churches, to anyone that would listen. He wanted the people that had lost sons or husbands to that long ago war to know that they were in the last thoughts of their dying loved one.

I was honored to be the first one he chose to tell his story. I had a pretty unique relationship with that boss. Once, when we were having a full facility evaluation, the evaluators interviewed us together. They were wanting to know what kind of relationship we had as Union rep and Manager. They asked my boss if he would characterize our relationship as a good one. His answer surprised even me.
He said, "John and I have a common belief in Jesus Christ as our Lord and Savior. Everything else flows out of that, so yes, we have a good relationship."

Today, if you have lost someone serving in the military I want you to hear this story and know that they were thinking of you. Today, as we remember them and honor them, I want you to know that they remembered you.

John

1 comment:

Mike said...

Luckily I don't have any family members that died in combat.