Monday, December 27, 2021

December Sunrise, Climate Change, Pandemic Effects

It's a little weird to be sitting on my deck as the sun rises on this, the 27th day of December. Yeah, it's cool enough that I'm wearing a sweater, but it is 60f (15c) at the end of December in the Ozarks. While I understand the negative and disastrous effects of climate change, I have to admit that I am a fan of warmer winters.
Recently I was reading some stats on Covid. Here in the US we have become so used to people ignoring the science of vaccination and prevention and dying of Covid that the current 7-day average (in the US) of one person dying every minute of every day isn't even newsworthy anymore.  There have been more than 4.26 million deaths worldwide from Covid so far and the actual numbers are assumed to be higher due to poor counting in many countries early in the pandemic. Deaths are expected to reach Five million in the coming months. The practical John wonders if there is a positive side to so many (seemingly) senseless deaths. 

Numerically, five million fewer people on the planet is pretty insignificant. The restricted international travel and people working from home instead of commuting to and from work probably plays a greater role in reducing carbon impact on the environment. I suspect the travel part is returning to near pre-pandemic rates, but I think that remote working is here to stay. Hooray for technology!
Maybe more adaptations using technology and practical sense can reverse some of the damage we've done to the environment before it's too late. Maybe not.

Just some weird thoughts as I enjoy my coffee and the sunshine this December morning.

John

1 comment:

Mike said...

"It's a little weird to be sitting on my deck as the sun rises on this, the 27th day of December."
And then there would be a picture of the sunrise! But someone forgot to insert it!