Sunday, October 29, 2023

After Death

Last night we went to see Angel Studio's newly released film, After Death.
You can watch a trailer here.

Typically, I view near death (or after death) experiences with some skepticism. That probably sounds weird coming from a former preacher/evangelist. Maybe it's that the few books I've read on the subject seem to have an ulterior motive from capitalizing to make money to proselytizing. If that's you, too -- you will still find the movie interesting, though probably not life changing.
I went because Chris wanted to see it.

To be fair, I am an after-life believer.
I don't know what it will be like, but I do not believe that the end of life is just the big dirt nap. I doubt that our thoughts of heaven and hell are accurate and even tales from these near-death experiences are just glimpses into what lies behind the curtain. Nevertheless, I believe that we are more souls with a body than we are bodies with a soul.

I don't think that these stories are fake.
I believe they are real experiences and I believe that there are similar experiences that multitudes of people have had. Unfortunately, I don't think that we are very good at learning from the experiences of others. And even as we suck at learning from other people's experiences, we fully expect them to learn from ours.

I can't really give this an enthusiastic -- You've got to see this! -- kind of recommendation, but I would say that it is worth seeing. Watch it and consider what it offers. I think the producers are wanting to start conversations more than making converts. 
And that's always a good place to start.

John

2 comments:

Mike said...

I've read recently where the researchers think the brain is still operating after what's considered "death". So if they bring you back you may have memories of what went on.

John A Hill said...

Mike, some of that was covered in the film. It's pretty interesting what goes on in the brain when we think it is (we are) dead.