Thursday, June 01, 2023

Pride

It's June
and it's Pride Month.
Over the past several years I've become much more acquainted with, an ally to, and even a friend to many people in the LBGTQ+ community around Springfield. Even just five years ago, I knew few people that were a part of that group. Today I have nearly as many queer friends as straight ones and I refer to them as -- get this -- my friends; not my gay friends, not my lesbian friends, not my trans friends -- just my friends.

The thing about Pride Month is to bring an awareness to everyone of the injustices that are faced by the community. Contrary to what you've been told -- there is no agenda, no one is trying to indoctrinate your straight kids, and nobody is trying to get preferential treatment of any kind. Everybody just wants to have the same rights, privileges, and choices that the majority of people already have.

There was this dude that lived a couple of thousand years ago that taught us to treat others the way we'd like to be treated. He taught a lot of good stuff and I've found his teachings to be a good foundation for life. While this one seems pretty simple and straight forward, so many of his followers have a very difficult time with it when it comes to how they treat the LGBTQ+ community.

It's no longer just suppression or unfair treatment. Today's militant right is about actively harming people in the queer community. They are passing laws that make it legal to withhold healthcare. They are encouraging rage and violence against the community. Politicians in the state of Florida are even issuing warnings -- Don't come here. You are not welcome.
If you are supporting these kinds of actions, you need to re-evaluate your humanity.
If you are silent about these kinds of actions, then you are complicit.
My friends are in danger because of self-righteous religious bigots and their ignorant, hateful behavior.

Be aware
Be kind
Be an ally


John

3 comments:

Mike said...

"If you are supporting these kinds of actions, you need to re-evaluate your humanity."
Amen!

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Hi John -- Your reader Mike sent me over here, said you had a great blog post today. Yes, it is! Thanks for being an ally. Happy Pride!

DB Stewart said...

Followed Debra here. Well said.