Friday, June 30, 2023

June 30: Thoughts on Pride Month

I've spent nearly all of this year's Pride Month in Puerto Vallarta which is a pretty gay friendly community and very different from the conservative area of Southwest Missouri where I live. Life here is very different for the LGBTQ+ community, but there are some things that don't change for so many people.

Being true to one's self can be difficult and often comes with a steep price -- especially if you've been taught that your true self is wrong, misguided, or an abomination before God. Some people are left with the choice of being unhappy as someone they're not or losing everything and everyone they know and love in order to be themselves. 
A third choice (and one that is taken far too often) is to decide that life just isn't worth living.

Whether it's here in Puerto Vallarta or back home in Missouri there are many heartbreaking stories of people being rejected and disowned by family, friends, and churches. Adding to the burden of rejection in the US, many states are pushing laws that undo many protections that have been gained and even going so far as to actively make it more difficult for many to get healthcare, housing, and other basic needs. Much of the rhetoric and vitriol even inspires and encourages violence against the LGBTQ+ community.

I'll be honest -- as an older, straight, cis gendered, mostly white male I don't know where I'm going with this. I know there are injustices that are hurting my friends and many innocent people and I am at a loss trying to figure out what I can do about it. I am convinced that loving them and supporting them is no longer enough. 

Yeah, I know I can vote. I know I can speak up. I know I can write this meaningless blog. 
But do any of these things really make a difference?

Simply overcoming ignorance is one thing, but challenging tradition and religion seems to be too great of an obstacle. Having walked that evangelical path for so long, I know so many people that are using religion to hurt people. They may call it tough love, but love doesn't really have any part in it.
I have to have grace because I was there -- where they are.
I have to have hope -- that will see they are not being Christ-like in the way they are treating others (their neighbors).
And somehow, I have to have love -- for both the oppressed and for the oppressors.
Damn, that's tough.

Be full of grace.
Be full of love.
Be at peace.

John

No comments: