Tuesday, June 13, 2023

23,010 days

Twenty three thousand and ten days.
That's how many times the earth has spun on its axis since my arrival sixty three years ago.
I'm not sure which number sounds older.

The thing that I am pretty sure of is that I have fewer days or years left on this planet and I should probably make the most of them. I suppose that making the most of them will mean many different things to different people -- making money, taking trips, having adventures and hobbies to pursue, drinking fine wines or expensive bourbons, driving nice cars, etc., etc.
I'm much less ambitious than that.

Making the most of my days is more about living in the moments that happen rather than making moments happen. It is difficult to express how much enjoyment I get from watching hummingbirds at the feeder or feeding from the flowers we've planted.
I'm a lousy gardener, but there is a peaceful kind of satisfaction in harvesting a handful of green beans for a dinner side or picking some cucumbers and tomatoes for a salad.

I do cherish the moments that I get to spend with good friends and there are certain people that seem to connect and lift my spirit more than others. But there is also a peace that I treasure in being alone. 
I doubt that my remaining days and years will yield much influence, inspiration, or wisdom upon the world around me. I don't think that is my calling or purpose. I doubt that I'll be spreading a ton of joy or buckets of happiness -- you have to enjoy being around people for that kind of stuff. 

For the most part, I think my 23,010 days have been well spent. I've met some great people and learned some good lessons. I hope to continue learning daily lessons and enjoying each moment as it presents itself.

John

For those that are interested: The Milky Way galaxy spins at around 270 kilometers per second or 168 miles per second and takes 200 million years to complete a single rotation. While I have journeyed around our sun 63 times (584 million miles per orbit), in the grand scope of things we have barely moved.

1 comment:

Mike said...

"we have barely moved."
Add my sitting at the computer and my movement factor goes down by a factor of 100.
HBD again!