Thursday, June 15, 2023

Another Day in Mexico

It's another pretty chill day in the life of John.
I'm not yet to the halfway point of my four week stay in Puerto Vallarta and life is good. I've been walking everyday, getting a little pool time on most days, enjoying the tropics, and basically living the life of a retired guy in Mexico.

Yeah, I could live here.
I'm not sure the kids would want us this close all of the time, but I wouldn't have to live close to them or even in the same city. I always kind of thought Zihautanejo was where I would like to live. There is a nice community just above Playa la Ropa that is walking distance to town or the beach.
It's a little surprising that housing that we'd be looking for isn't much less expensive than it would be in the US. There are plenty of ways living here is much cheaper than back home, but housing with air conditioning and other amenities that we would want is pretty comparable. I suppose if you compare beach community housing it would change things, but I'm just thinking of what I pay now vs what I'd pay to live here. I'm not sure how to value what no winter is worth, but it is plenty for me.

On the other hand, I have a pretty good life and a very nice home back in SWMO. 
Although I'm not a big fan of the politics of the area, nor of the great divisiveness in the US, it isn't too difficult to remain relatively isolated on my little piece of peaceful property. I wouldn't say that I enjoy taking care of all of it, but I do get a feeling of satisfaction from a well cared for piece of land and it's good work. Sometimes it seems like a lot of work, but I also have a lot of time. I'll have a month's worth of work to catch up on when we get back. I will let you know how I feel about it when I've caught up.

For today...
I'll walk a bit, enjoy the sun, have a beer or two, maybe read, maybe nap, definitely enjoy life.

Adios!

John

2 comments:

Mike said...

What about medical/emergency services?

John A Hill said...

Mike,
The kids managed by paying out of pocket for medical expenses for more than a year. Most are pretty reasonable. Now they are residents so they are eligible for the universal care.