Monday, May 08, 2023

Monday Morning Meditation

No news or thoughts about what is in the news tis morning. I am enjoying a quiet (except for the birds and a little background highway noise) morning on the deck with a cup of coffee. I've spent the last two nights sleeping on the deck and it has been quite wonderful. I hope to do this often this month since I expect nights to be a little too warm and uncomfortable when I return home in July.

This morning's meditation is from the Tao Te Ching.

Heaven is long-enduring and earth continues long.
    The reason why heaven and earth are able to endure and continue thus long is because they do not live of, or for, themselves.
    This is how they are able to continue and endure.

    Therefore the sage puts his own person last, and yet it is found in the foremost place; he treats his person as if it were foreign to him, and yet that person is preserved.
    Is it not because he has no personal and private ends, that therefore such ends are realised?

Hmmm...
I'm going to ponder that.
Do we flourish best when we exist for others?

John
    

2 comments:

Mike said...

I saw on the news that someone was killed in Springfield. They interviewed a woman that just "couldn't believe" something like that could "happen here". She is apparently unaware she lives in the middle of crazy town as you have pointed out recently.

John A Hill said...

Crazy town indeed.
I think Springfield is trying to compete with St Louis City on crime and violence.