Sunday, May 07, 2023

Tell me about your god.

Yeah, I know. The little "g" god was intentional. It's not meant to be disrespectful of the big "G" God; it's meant to recognize that the object of our worship is very often something or someone different from the big "G" God. Maybe I'm more interested in knowing what or who you worship than I am in hearing about your god, but either way I think I'll get a pretty good idea of what or who you worship and idolize.

I don't want this to be a post that is strictly about guns or Christian Nationalism, but it is about both -- sort of. It's more about the Christ I try to follow and how I think his image has been replaced with something evil, sinister, and very much the antithesis of the Jesus of the Bible.
I live in what is often referred to as the buckle of the Bible belt. Southern Missouri is home to the world headquarters of two conservative Christian denominations -- General Baptists in Southeast MO, and Assemblies of God here in Southwest MO. There are a number of conservative colleges and universities as well as churches, both very large and very small throughout the area. You can't cast a stone without striking someone that has been judged and condemned by our conservative, evangelical brothers and sisters. 

There is also a weird sense of patriotism that boasts a God and Country theme while simultaneously flying the colors of the Confederacy and defending insurrectionists. It is a weird mentality that can be so strongly supportive of two very contrasting ideals.

The strong faith in God (I think it's a big "G" God, but I'm really not sure) and the worship of a country founded on, based on, and maintained by military force (violence) confuses me more than I can reconcile and so I am looking for help. 
The military force that guards us is something that I can understand to a point.
The worship of private ownership and need to carry weapons of war (and even hand guns) in public is beyond what I can grasp in this little pea-sized brain of mine -- especially for someone that claims to follow the Christ that I believe in.

Stand your ground and turn the other cheek seem to be opposing directions, one a construct of man and the other the words of Jesus. I have a very difficult time picturing Jesus packing a sidearm on a trip to the grocery store or Starbucks or even to church, and yet that's what you can expect here in the Ozarks.

Would Jesus advocate for more guns or fewer guns?
Would Jesus arm teachers and security guards or tell us to put away our swords (guns/weapons)?
Would Jesus say that our right to unfettered access to guns is more important than the lives of school kids or citizens at public events?

I know a lot of conservative, flag waving, gun toting Christians that don't care much for the way this liberal, loving follower of Jesus thinks, but I am having a difficult time understanding how we (Christians) can often be at odds when it comes to living and loving according to the instructions of Jesus. 
As citizens of The Kingdom of Heaven, do we honor the borders of our earthly country more than the command to love and care for our neighbors? Do we reject different people in our midst or do we reconcile differences and love and advocate for those that others in society oppress?
Does God approve of our violence -- even if it is a response to violence?

Tell me what matters most to you and I will tell you about your god. 
Better yet, show me your beliefs and I will know your god (or God). 

John

2 comments:

Mike said...

"turn the other cheek"
From Wikipedia...
At the time of Jesus, says Wink, striking backhand a person deemed to be of lower socioeconomic class was a means of asserting authority and dominance. If the persecuted person "turned the other cheek," the discipliner was faced with a dilemma: The left hand was used for unclean purposes, so a back-hand strike on the opposite cheek would not be performed. An alternative would be a slap with the open hand as a challenge or to punch the person, but this was seen as a statement of equality. Thus, by turning the other cheek, the persecuted was demanding equality.

John A Hill said...

Interesting
Jesus teaching about social justice.