Sunday, May 14, 2023

Making a quiet space...

I get it. It isn't always possible to isolate yourself for a quiet time -- at least not in the conventional ways. This morning finds me making due with being away from home. I assume the hotel coffee is like typical hotel coffee (not good). I thought I'd venture across the highway to the Dunkin Donuts for coffee. It turned out to be a drive-thru/walk-up only with no tables or chairs, even outside.
Sacrebleu!

There was another restaurant in the plaza across the parking lot with tables and chairs on their patio so I sat there and enjoyed my coffee for a little while. I'm back at the hotel now (still avoiding the coffee) and sitting at a table in the breakfast area. There is a TV on and there has been a steady flow of guests down for breakfast.

The thing is -- I can tune out the distractions rather easily. 
I know that it is difficult for some people to tune things out. I think that many people tend to focus on the things they are trying to tune out rather than focusing on what they want to think about. A quiet place isn't always necessary for a quiet time. If you have earbuds (especially noise cancelling ones) a little soft instrumental music or nature sounds might do the trick. Otherwise, I find that focusing on my breath and breathing to be good for isolation in not so isolated places.

Square breathing is a good relaxing and focusing practice. Find a comfortable seated position (or laying down if you are using it as a pre-sleep calming device). I use a five count, but parts of it can be difficult. A four count might be a better place to begin. 
Still yourself and breathe in deeply on a five (four) count. 
Hold for a five (four) count.
Exhale for a five (four) count.
Pause for a five (four) count.
Repeat.
In my head, it sounds like this:
In - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5
Hold - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5
Out - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5
Pause - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5

The hold and the pause are the most difficult parts and might take more focus.
If you are using it for a pre-sleep ritual, try four or five cycles before shifting to a more simple deep inhale/pause/slow exhale/pause pattern to sleep.

Three cycles at a five count is around one minute and can easily be used as a moment to pause and refocus anytime throughout the day. 

If you are using a meditative reading or verse to contemplate -- read the verse first, square breathe for a couple of minutes, shift to a more simple breathing pattern and contemplate.
It won't seem like much, but a simple five minute practice is a good place to begin. A couple of minutes of breathing practice and three minutes of thought might seem like a long time. You might want to use a timer. You might not need one. Using those three minutes to think about nothing is also a good practice. You might just listen to your heart or sounds of nature -- or nothing.

Breathing is something we do all day, every day, and never really give it a thought.  Practiced breathing can help us to breathe better -- even when we are not thinking about it.
Give it a try.
Let me know what you think.

John

No comments: