Thursday, November 28, 2019

Thursdays are for Thanksgiving

It's rare that I have sleepless nights or difficulty going back to sleep if I wake up during the night. This morning seems to be an exception ... and since we're in a hotel room it's not as easy as just getting up and getting an early start to the day.

It is Thanksgiving Day in the US and I feel obligated to post about being thankful.
This year, more than ever, I am thankful for the people in my life. When it comes to the stuff in my life, I actually feel a little selfish. We have way too much stuff!
In packing up our home for moving, we pitched and donated a LOT of stuff! And we still managed to occupy three storage units -- one large unit that I thought would hold everything, one normal climate controlled unit for our nicer furniture pieces and piano, and one small overflow unit for the stuff that wouldn't fit into the first two units!

I am thankful for the stuff we have that makes life easier, but I am also aware that we could just as easily do without much of it. I think there will be more donating and pitching in the spring.

Those that know me well, know that I'm not a great people person.
I like people okay; I just don't care to be around them most of the time.
Chris is the more social person. I would be fine with a book, a good cigar, and an appropriate drink (coffee, bourbon, beer, or even water). Or maybe a day cruising solo on the bike. Or relaxing on a tropical beach (with a cigar and a local spirit like tequila or rum).

I'm okay with personal conversations, but find small talk to be boring and unproductive. Maybe that's why being in larger groups of people is a little uncomfortable. But I'm adapting to what seems to be a more regular habit of being around people.

The truth is there are some people, even some groups of people that I really look forward to being around. These are the ones that I am truly thankful for on this Thanksgiving day. I am learning how to be more comfortable around people because these friends are easy to be with. They teach me about love, compassion, and help me to want to be a better person.
I hope you have people like that in your life.
I hope you are that person for somebody.
And whether you live in the US or not, I hope that today you will be thankful for the people you love and for the people that love you.

John <><

2 comments:

John A Hill said...

Wow!
Just noticed that this is post #1900 at Out of My Hat!

Mike said...

2000 coming up!