Tuesday, November 12, 2019

Brrrrr...

It is cold!

The temperature in Springfield was 10f (-12c) at sunrise this morning. Today's high is forecast to remain below the freezing mark.
I am comfortably warm in my small apartment. I don't even have to leave for any reason today.
However, there are hundreds of people in the Springfield area that are homeless. Even as I type this, the overnight shelters are closing and they will be on their own to find places to stay warm throughout the day.

I was at a warming center last night where many gathered while waiting for the overnight shelters to open. I listened to their stories. Life is difficult for them. I don't understand why people seem set on making it more so.

For each of the people there that were working so hard to find resources to help our unsheltered friends, I heard stories of the opposition that they were up against as they worked.
I'm not sure that I ended up feeling good about my volunteer work last night. Mostly I came away sad that it was necessary and angry that there are actually people that are opposed to helping others that find themselves in a bad situation.

I want to encourage you to be kind to others.
But I get it. Being kind can be difficult and unnatural for many of us. If you are like I used to be, maybe you can begin by just deciding not to be ass ... for today. You don't have to make it a lifelong commitment. Just don't be an ass for today. If you mess up, try again tomorrow. If you succeed, maybe you can try for two days.

Be kind
...even if the kindest thing you can do is not to be an ass.

John <><

No comments: