Friday, November 22, 2019

10 Year Challenge

Last night our Bar Church message was on being our authentic self. It wasn't some kind of self help message but a lesson that we are created in the image of God and reminder that we are to be like him. But are we really bold enough to be like Jesus?

Social media usually paints a pretty picture of what life is like. We tend to post good things that are happening and usually select the most most flattering pictures. I'm not much of a selfie guy and don't usually post photographs of myself.
Facebook currently has this 10 year challenge where you post a pic of yourself from the beginning of the decade and one of your current self. Right! Like we all need the reminder that we're getting older!

But just like social media -- the pictures (that we get to choose) don't really say much about who we really are. I found this post from a few years ago. It says a bit about how I (and others) might have perceived me back then. It also had links to four other posts from the beginning of the decade that described things about me. They were fun to re-read.
I hope that current me has grown some since then. I hope that today you find a kinder John than the John of 10 years ago. I think that you will certainly find a more authentic John than the guy that hid behind the blog of a decade ago. Perhaps the most freeing thing I've discovered over the past decade is I am much less concerned about how others feel about me than I once was.

If you want to see what I looked like 10 years ago, feel free to search out the internet for pics of me from the past. If you want to know what I thought about 10 years ago, my blog is here with a thirteen year archive of bs ramblings. If you want to get to know me now, hit me up for a cup of coffee or a beer and we'll talk. I'll be me and you are free to be you.

John <><

1 comment:

Mike said...

On your 2013 post, you got 5 comments. I don't know if people are leaving blogger or just commenting less. I've been out looking for more bloggers to follow.