Saturday, November 09, 2019

Riding season? Isn't it always riding season?

So I did a thing ... FINALLY!

A year after I retired, I bought my motorcycle ... and I rode it a lot. I didn't know anything about riding, so I just learned as I rode.
I didn't know that you need a windscreen for riding distance on the highway, so I took it off because I liked the way it looked better without one and rode long distance on the highway.
I didn't know that you need an expensive aftermarket seat or your butt and back will hurt after a couple of hours of riding, so I rode all day with the stock seat and didn't think anything of it.
I didn't know that you don't ride when it's too hot or too cold, so I dressed for the weather and rode year round.
I didn't know that a new guy shouldn't set out on a long trip solo, so I took a trip that was over 3700 miles, touched 21 states, two Canadian provinces, and the District of Columbia. I rode morning rush hour in Chicago, afternoon rush hours in Boston and DC, and rode the biker's bucket list ride -- The Tail of the Dragon.
I rode 500+ miles (and back) to see ballgames or UFC fights in Chicago with my son and rode to St Louis and Columbia MO just to have lunch with friends.
Of the more than 42,000 miles I rode in the first three years of riding, I only rode with someone else about 200-300 miles. The rest was all solo.

Then last fall I needed to replace some turn signals. How hard could that be?
I ran into some problems that I couldn't figure out and those problems caused other problems. It was fall and I ended up letting the bike sit for the winter...then for the spring...and then for the summer.
Finally I went back to my philosophy of -- They paid me well to do the job I knew how to do; I should be willing pay others well to do the job they know how to do.

I called Anthony at Spokes Garage.
I guess I'm a little pleased that it wasn't a run of the mill problem and was caused by a defect in the parts I bought. Anthony fixed me up and really took care of me on the price. I have used Spokes Garage pretty much since I bought my bike. I take it there for regular maintenance, for new tires, and for fixing my amateur screw ups. Fortunately, my bike has been super reliable and hasn't needed more than service and tires -- until now.
Seriously, if you ride in Southwest MO and need someone to work on your bike you need to check out their website here, or like them on Facebook. I promise you, you will be pleased with the service and the price.

When I picked up my bike it was about 40 degrees out (4 for my Celsius friends) and I rode for the first time this year. I could store it for the winter, but I think I'll ride it whenever I can.
I am going to have to be careful that I don't set aside my daily walks for daily rides too often.

It's supposed to be 60 (15C) on Saturday, so I'll be riding for certain!
Watch for us old retired guys on motorcycles!

John <><

No comments: