Saturday, November 23, 2019

Colder tonight than last night ... and I'm glad

On Saturday morning at 7:30 the temperature in Springfield is 33f but feels like 25. It's wet out with a light mix of snow and rain. I spent the night sad and feeling a bit helpless because the Springfield cold weather overnight shelters don't open unless the overnight temperature forecast at 2pm is expected to be below freezing.

I am grateful to the churches that open their doors to the homeless on cold nights and I realize that they need to have a standard for when they are open, but damn last night was difficult.
Last night we served at a gathering place for those that go to the overnight shelters and all we could do was tell them that the shelters wouldn't be open. I offered a cup of coffee and some hot hands hand warmers and sent them on their way into the cold, wet night. The good folks at the Connecting Grounds had padded plastic sleeping bag covers to keep them dry and ground pads if they needed them.
It was 38 and raining and all I could do was give them a cup of coffee and send them out hoping that they could find a dry, warm place for the night.

Tonight -- thank God -- it will be colder!
The shelters will be open.

My current life journey has led me to this place where I am meeting people that are without a place to stay and the people that seek to help them. Their stories are as varied as the people. And there are many more people that are just an insignificant event from being on the street -- an illness, an accident, car trouble, an argument or disagreement at home.
Yeah, it was cold standing outside for a few hours telling people that the shelters would not be open for the night. But when it was over we got into our car, stopped for something to eat, and came back to our tiny, but warm apartment for the night.

Honestly, I haven't paid attention to the needs or the causes of homelessness in our area. I am meeting people that have and are working to help people and end homelessness in Springfield. As you can probably imagine, it is a daunting task.
I hope I'm up to it.

John <><

2 comments:

Mike said...

Nice job!

Kevin Gilmore said...

Tammy and I volunteered at a shelter last winter. We were there to help with meal service but hung around well after dinner to talk with those using the shelter. It was an eye-opening experience for us both. One woman there had lost her home and her car due to medical expenses. She was employed and doing all she should've been but a car accident put her in the hospital and it all spiraled downward from there. Hers is not an uncommon story.