Friday, November 18, 2016

Red Cross

This morning finds me at the Springfield platelet donation center of the American Red Cross.
It's been over a year since I've been able to make a donation due to travel deferrals.

I've posted before about the need for blood products. Platelets have a very short shelf life (about 5 days) so the need is constant. Red cells and plasma are also in constant need and often in short supply. If you've never donated, you should consider it. Tell them you are a first time donor and they will take the time to explain the process and let you know what to expect.

The needle stick has never been an issue for me. I've even let first time phlebotomists stick me. One trainer said I'm what they call an encourager!
Another one said you could throw darts from across the room and hit that garden hose!
In any case, if it's your first time, just let them know. If you've had a bad experience, go back and try again. Tell them about your experience and give them another chance. Somebody's life may depend on it.
And if it has just been awhile, consider scheduling an appointment.

I'm going to keep this short since I'm on the apheresis machine and having to type with my left hand only.

Be well,
John <><

2 comments:

eViL pOp TaRt said...

That is a worthy public service!

Mike said...

I've been banned for a year because of a precancerous spot on my skin I had removed. Their loss.