Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Random Post Election Thoughts

I left Ozark after voting last week and didn't get home until Monday night.
In the week that I was gone, I watched very little TV news and had fairly limited time to be on social media networks. From what I can see, that was a good thing.

There is much being said about the formation of President-elect Trump's transition team and the selections to cabinet positions and other appointed staff. There seems to be as much surprise among traditional Republicans as there is shock and outrage from traditional Democrats.
To both, it doesn't appear that there will be the draining of the swamp that was anticipated.
The days leading up to the inauguration will be interesting.

For my own mental health, I think that I will continue to limit my social media time and refrain from commenting on most political stuff. While I do believe that we will see some difficult times ahead, I don't think that it is the end of the US or our way of government. I recognize that I will have a much lesser impact on my life than many other citizens. Yes, folks -- white privilege is real. I also recognize that this white privilege thing also bears a responsibility to point out injustices as they happen and to readily stand with those that are being ridiculed and deeply affected by some of the changes that are already taking place.

I'm not going to be wearing any safety pins, but I will be more observant and watchful for people that are worried about the future and will try advocate for those that need a voice.

Which ever side of the election you were on, know that there are lots of worried and scared people right now. Have a little empathy. Show a little love. Be a good neighbor and a good citizen.

John <><

1 comment:

eViL pOp TaRt said...

Great comment. Whether a person wins or loses does not remove the obligation to be kind.