Wednesday, November 02, 2016

Baseball: World Series, Game 7

I'm going to break from the thanksgiving theme today to talk about baseball.
Yeah, I know it's only the 2nd, but that's just the way the timing worked out and my main goal is to write every day. And besides, I am thankful for the distraction and entertainment that baseball provides.

Tonight is Game 7 of the World Series!
A game 7 in any championship is the ultimate in excitement for the fans of the sport. Neither of the teams that are in this year's Series have won a championship for quite some time -- almost 70 years for the Indians and more than 100 for the Cubs. I just saw that tickets are going for as much as $19,000 dollars for tonight's game!

Even though my team isn't playing in this year's Fall Classic, I watch because I am a fan of the game. I am not a Cub hater as many Cardinal fans are and will be happy for the many long suffering Cub fans should their beloved Cubbies manage a win tonight. There is a hometown product on the Indians and I know that there are many Cub fans that that are torn a bit when he is in the game.

I remember back in '04 when the Cardinals made it to the Series. Aaron was so excited! He said it was the first time in his life that his team was in the World Series! He was 15.
Imagine how Cub fans must feel when it is the first time in more than 70 years since they have even been to the World Series. Cardinal fans have a difficult time relating to that kind of excitement. In the previous 10 years, the Cardinals have played in the Series four times and won it twice.

The Indians lost the Series in both 1995 and 1997, so most of their fans have experienced the excitement of World Series play as well as the bitterness of a World Series loss.
The Cubs haven't played in a Series since 1945 when they lost Game 7 (and the Series) to the Tigers.

To the winners of tonight's game -- Congratulations on being the World Series Champions!
To the other team (kind of hate to call them losers) -- Congrats on a great season and thanks for giving baseball fans an exciting Series.

And to all of the fans of the game -- Opening Day is just 5 months from today!

John <><

4 comments:

eViL pOp TaRt said...

I'll be looking into this game too! Happy Baseball, the king of sports.

Juliette said...

I'm pulling for the Blue Jays - wait until next year.

allenwoodhaven said...

Well said!

Mike said...

I'm down in the basement checking the internet during the 10th inning rain delay.