Wednesday, January 10, 2024

Taylor Swift

Taylor Swift is not the kind of music that I typically listen to. Most of the time you will find me listening to classic rock. 
However, I have started listening to some more contemporary music like Taylor Swift, Harry Styles, Dua Lipa, and others that I can't recall at the moment. I hear them on Pandora's Taylor Swift and friends (or something like that) station. While I still can't tell you the name of a single TSwift song, I just figured that it would be a shame to share time on earth with perhaps the most prolific songwriter ever and a top tier entertainer and not listen to and appreciate the excellence of her craft. Her songs seem to tell her stories like country music, but she doesn't sing or perform like a country artist (thank God!).
Besides, I like what I've read about her as a human being. She seems like a genuinely good person. 

Any Swifties among my regular readers?
What are your favorite songs of hers?
What other artists or genres should I be listening to? 

John

3 comments:

Bilbo said...

My oldest granddaughter is a fanatical Swifty. Like you, I can't name or recognize any Taylor Swift songs, but she does seem like a real mensch in the best sense of the word. I'd compare her to Dolly Parton.

Mike said...

"as a human being"
A billionaire humanitarian. Go figure!

Infidel753 said...

Billionaire humanitarians seem pretty rare. Most billionaires are narcissistic assholes. Swift is probably different because she's one of the few who did actually produce all that wealth through her own creativity, as opposed to working legions of grunt workers half to death, paying them shit wages, and skimming off the values they actually created. Inuring oneself to the latter way of life seems to rule out retaining any normal human decency.

I fund a lot of her music to be quite enjoyable, even if not ground-breakingly innovative like the Beatles or the Kinks or Nina Hagen. You could do a lot worse.