Wednesday, April 07, 2021

Full Disclosure: maybe honesty isn't the best policy

While I think it's safe to say that dishonesty isn't a good practice, it may also be true that complete transparency isn't always a great idea. What if my full disclosure inadvertently hurts someone else or puts them in an awkward position? Wouldn't it be better if I didn't say anything at all? Or maybe only talked to people that had a need to know?

Face it -- most of the time we just want to know all of the details of any peripheral situation to satisfy our own curiosity rather than because we really need to know. I've found myself being much more willing to stay out of other's business than I used to be. Nearly without exception -- knowing or not knowing changes nothing for me. The only real effect is that I have less to gossip about. 
Besides, if gossiping is the goal or purpose for knowing stuff -- isn't it more fun (and potentially more harmful) to just make shit up anyway?

I realize that some people seem to have a lot of time for keeping track of other people's business and spreading their insights around to anyone that will listen. Personally, I have my hands full trying to keep my own butt out of offensive situations to spend much time worrying about what anyone else is doing.

I think the whole "honesty is the best policy" might be exaggerated. I'm going to go with love and grace is the best policy.
...That and minding my own damn business.

John

1 comment:

Mike said...

Very well stated.