Thursday, March 30, 2023

It's Baseball Season

Today is Opening Day!

I feel like I should probably be more excited about it being the first day of the 2023 MLB season. I am kind of looking forward to the season, but overall professional sports don't hold my attention the way they once did. For one thing - the players are paid so much and the games have gotten to be so expensive to attend that I find that part of the industry a little repulsive. 

One of the things that I do enjoy about baseball is that it is an ideal sport for radio. It is easy to follow along and visualize the game from the commentary of a good radio broadcaster. I can enjoy a game while working in the yard, driving in the car, or sitting on the deck enjoying a good cigar. I've even managed to walk or ride a bicycle while listening to a game or two.

The Cardinals AA team is located here, in Springfield MO and is hosting an Opening Day watch party at their stadium -- for FREE! 
Yes you can watch today's Cardinal game on the biggest screen in Southwest Missouri while sitting at Hammond Field. I read that there will be limited concessions available, as well. I am considering going.

While I do think the stadium atmosphere of a baseball game is something to be enjoyed, I don't know if it's something that I will do today. I mean it isn't really being at a game - more like watching a game on TV with a bunch of people that you don't know.
I haven't even decided if I want to buy a Red Access Pass for the local team's season yet. It's a kind of general admission season ticket with some added bonuses. It would more than pay for itself if I go to just a dozen games throughout the season. Maybe...

In any case...
PLAY BALL!

John


1 comment:

Mike said...

Starting time is almost here.