Thursday, March 16, 2023

Out of Rhythm

It's been a weird week.
Due to the typical warmer weather patterns for March, I am off the schedule at the overnight shelter. Also due to the weather patterns of March, I am available to work if there are more than three freezing nights in a week. This week there are six and we have plans for the weekend.
I worked Sunday night, Tuesday night, and I'll work tonight - Thursday night. That kind of messes with a guy's sleep patterns. 

The first two overnights this week have been weird. I don't know if it's because we're at the end of the season and everyone is tired of winter (and each other) or if it's something else, but the level of agitation and irritation was definitely up. I am hoping that I can bring a more calming presence tonight. My usual calming presence has been missing the past few nights.

With the unusual work schedule, everything else has been out of sync, as well. It was around 11 o'clock last night when I realized that I hadn't read on my Kindle app for the day. I managed to get a chapter read and move my consecutive day reading streak to 570. Maybe I should have just let it go. It's weird, but I feel like I am a bit of a prisoner to the streak. Know what I mean?
My internet time has also been off and I've missed checking on the blogs I typically follow. I've tried to keep up on the news, but that's also been off.

Meals are off, too. Yesterday I had some leftover sausage gravy and bread (no leftover biscuits) and three bowls of cereal. Tonight I will probably pick up a couple of sandwiches on the way to the shelter. I don't know what I'll eat during the day, maybe my old standby of peanutbutter and jelly.
Working at the shelter does give me plenty of steps on my step counter. I've been trying to get a little additional exercise as well, but it's weird when you're out of the normal daily routine.

Spring arrives on the calendar next week. Hopefully, spring weather will arrive with it.
I am ready!

John

2 comments:

Mike said...

17 degrees Saturday night in Springfield. You could be busy.

John A Hill said...

Not my night to work. I think this will be my last for the season. The other staffer will work Fri, Sat, Sunday, and possibly Monday. I don't think there are any more freezing nights forecasted for March.
Shelters season ends on the 31st.