Saturday, March 18, 2023

Magic again?

I am feeling pretty good today -- feeling human again.
After the weird sleep week and zero sleep day, I got a good night's sleep last night and will be taking it easy today. This weekend's UFC fights are in London so the prelims are on already and the main card is relatively early tonight.

I have recently started looking at some of my old instructional magic DVDs and following some magicians on social media. I'm interested in relearning some stuff and adding new things, but not super motivated to put in the necessary practice without a venue for performing. One of the things that I've really noticed is the difference that aging makes. Hands and fingertips don't have the natural moisture that they once had and lotions don't really help a lot -- more than the natural level of moisture early and it doesn't last very long. 
The drier hands make handling cards and coins much more difficult. Add a little arthritis into it and I have to make some adaptations to many techniques or find an alternate method. I may have to find something that uses less dexterity of the fingers, maybe some rope, rings, or mentalism stuff. 
Or maybe not.
Whether I pick it up again or not, I am enjoying the time watching magic again. It seems like it was a long ago, previous life when I enjoyed practicing and performing magic. My gut tells me that the renewed interest in magic will be short-lived, but we will have to see.

John

1 comment:

Mike said...

My SIL's cousin is a magician. https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100087135345746
He was the Ronald McDonald for the St. Louis area until McDonald's fired ALL the Ronalds in the country.