Tuesday, March 28, 2023

Storytime with John

Tonight's the night that the small group study Reading the Bible as a Storybook begins.
I have to admit that I am entering it with some mixed feelings and mixed expectations.

Part of the mixed expectations comes from the fact that I haven't really planned out the entire 10 weeks of classes and materials. I did that purposefully so that the group could have some input into how the study actually goes. I have tonight's introduction meeting setup to be just that -- an introduction to me and to what I am expecting, as well as a time for each person to briefly introduce themselves and what they are expecting or hoping to get out of our time together. 

I have week two planned out with an Old Testament story (really more of a story behind the story) and week three is a bit of a blend of an Old Testament/New Testament kind of story -- sort of a linking of the two.
Beyond that I'd like to take on some of the favorite stories of the group or perhaps (big maybe as I'm not too keen on giving away that kind of group control) allow others to share their favorites in their own ways. Whether I continue to choose stories to share on my own or examine bible stories of their choosing, there is more than enough material to cover the 10 week session. 

I plan on keeping good notes just in case the class goes well enough that it is run again with a different group or calls for another session to continue what is started in this one. I don't know if that is a fear or a hope when it comes to expectations. I'm just considering the possibilities.

It's weird how something that was once very familiar and comfortable has become something that holds a little anxiety and doubt. It has been a while and The Venues ain't your daddy's church!

John

No comments: