Saturday, December 02, 2017

Goals

There is definitely a benefit to setting goals or facing a self imposed challenge. I wrote about an exercise goal a week or so ago and am still working on the daily habit.
Yesterday we were out much later than I was expecting and didn't get home until a little before 11pm. I had been my plan to get some cycle time in while watching the TUF Finale. The fights were still on when we got home, so I changed into some shorts and finished my daily commitment at around 11:30.

I have noticed that I am walking much slower than I used to walk. I think there are two major things that contribute to this.
First -- I am much heavier than I was before.
At my last go at healthy weight loss, I actually lost about 25 pounds by just eating better before I even started regular walking. That means I was quite a bit lighter when I started walking last time.
Second -- By the time I quit regular daily walks, not only was I 50 pounds lighter than I am now, I was in pretty good shape. I had been mixing a little running and walking and covering 4-5 miles daily. I was generally close to a 4 mph pace, which is stepping out nicely for walking. Today, I'm lucky to make 3 mph for a two mile walk.

Simple steps.
That's what I told myself then.
That's what I'm telling myself now.
Diet for weight management.
Exercise for health.

Be well,
John <><

1 comment:

Mike said...

I really need to start walking too. I have about 50 extra pounds if you need anymore.