Tuesday, December 05, 2017

Religion and Politics

Over the years, I can't tell you how many times I've heard, "I don't know how anyone can call themselves a Christian and vote democrat!"
Most of the time, the basis for the statement has been a singular issue that gets put into the broader context of morality. I have, on numerous occasions, defended both my politics and my religion.

Even recently I have been accused of letting my politics influence my religious beliefs.
I can assure you that the opposite has always been true -- my religious beliefs influence my political views.
It has only been in the past couple of decades that I have shifted from a moderate republican to a moderate democrat. I'm really more of a moderate independent with libertarian leanings (but let's face it, that's a moderate democrat by anyone's standards). That shift has come from a growing compassion for others and economic responsibility based on my religious beliefs.

Now, turn about is fair play. It is time for Christians to explain how they use morality as a yardstick and vote for the morally repugnant people that are in office as republicans.

Yeah.
I'll wait.

John <><

2 comments:

Mike said...

Seriously, I don't know how anyone can call themselves a Christian and vote republican.

John A Hill said...


My main point is that Christians that voted for Trump didn't use morality as their reason. Maybe it was they liked his economics or the party's economics. If they can overlook moral failings (on a grand scheme) in favor of other issues, they have to allow democrats to do the same.