Saturday, August 30, 2008

Labor Day Weekend

To celebrate Labor Day Weekend I spent the afternoon mowing the yard. The normally easy task was complicated by the fact that the last time I mowed it rained before I could get to the backyard. So today the backyard was quite a bit taller than usual and took about twice as long. In addition to that, the specialty bolt that serves as the axle for one of the rear wheels broke in the middle of the job. A quick trip to Lowe's and come creative engineering had the mower repaired and back in service so that I could finish the job. All of this while young son was at the lake with his girl and her family celebrating Labor Day in a more traditional fashion.

At least we did manage some homemade vanilla ice cream and fresh baked berry cobbler. I doubt that there is any summer time treat that can compare to homemade ice cream! Adding the berry cobbler is almost sinful!

Since Aaron wasn't planning on coming home this weekend (until he found out Jenny was coming home!) I had agreed to work tomorrow afternoon for a co-worker. I always work on Monday afternoons, so my Sunday/Monday evenings on this holiday weekend will be spent watching the skies for all of you weekend travelers. To borrow a phrase from CSI Miami's Horatio Caine, "We never close."

Getting back to creative engineering, here is a great game to challenge your own creative engineering skills. It's called fantastic contraptions. Go through the tutorial and you'll find it to be quite addicting.

I'm really looking forward to our church service tomorrow morning. The service will feature a song that is written by three of our own guys. I know that it will be a great offering to God!

Well I do hope that all of you have a great holiday weekend. It is fitting that we honor our country's laborers and those that have helped the labor movement to progress. I sincerely hope that we can get back to a country that values the working spirit of our men and women and quits sending jobs overseas or south of the border to Mexico.

Have a grand weekend,

John

1 comment:

Mike said...

Well I was wondering what to do with all my spare time. Fantastic contraptions can take care of a few minutes of it. Or hours. Or days.