Tuesday, August 12, 2008

John 10

John 10

Okay, so this is probably one of those chapters that is the reason why I've been slow to embrace the Gospel of John. I know that this "Good Shepherd" analogy probably had a lot more meaning to people that tended sheep and relied on them for food and clothing. I don't know anything about sheep and so for this to have any real meaning to me, first I'm going to have to learn something about sheep. Fortunately I've had more than a few pastors and preachers that have studied a bit about sheep and shepherds. Still, they may have studied sheep and may know something about sheep, but they don't really know sheep. Maybe if Jesus had been a cowboy and talked about horses...(reminds me of this past post).

Something important that I've learned:

Even some of them didn't get the picture--and they knew way more about sheep than I do!
Verse 6--Jesus used this figure of speech, but they did not understand what he was telling them.

Jesus said that the reason they didn't understand was because they were from outside the fold.

The verse I liked best:

Verse 16--I have other sheep that are not of this sheep pen. I must bring them also. They too will listen to my voice, and there shall be one flock and one shepherd.

This is a verse of hope for all of us. Jesus is saying that I am not just the Messiah of Israel, I am the Messiah of God and I am for all of the world.

A question to consider:

If Jesus had come to your community in the 21st century, what occupational example do you think He would have used instead of a shepherd and why?

John

No comments: