Sunday, August 10, 2008

John 8

John 8 begins with the familiar story of the adulteress brought before Jesus. From there, it gets a little bit hard to follow.

The Pharisees question the validity of Jesus' testimony and Jesus defends His testimony. Jesus talks about His Father and they ask about His father. They say that they are children of Abraham and Jesus says that they certainly don't act like children of Abraham. Here Jesus implies that they are children of the devil, later He comes right out and says it. They get their insults in by saying, "We are not illegitimate children..." This is an insult because they all know the story of His birth and this is why they question Jesus about who his father is.

Towards the end of the chapter, Jesus tells them that Abraham rejoiced at his day. Their response is the equivalent of, "Yeah, right. You've seen Abraham!" Jesus answers with,"Before Abraham was, I am."

Jesus didn't say, "I was." The "I am" comes from Moses' encounter with God when Moses asked who he should say sent him and God responded, "I am who I am. Tell them I AM sent you."

At this blasphemy, the Jews sought to stone Jesus.

Something important I've learned:

Here is where Jesus brings to life the teaching that you will be judged by the standard with which you judge others.

The verse I liked best:

verses 31-32 To the Jews who had believed him, Jesus said, "If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."

A question to consider:

How do you want to be judged? How do you judge others?

John

No comments: