Tuesday, August 19, 2008

John 16

John 16 is a chapter that is full of promise--some good, some not so very good. Jesus promises that there will be some that will persecute those that believe Him and are His followers. He even says that some will kill you as a favor to God. How often have we seen people do atrocious things in the name of God? Jesus says (verse 3), "They will do such things because they have not known the Father or me." Christians are not without their own dark past: the Crusades, the Inquisition, much antisemitism, etc. But Jesus also gives us the promise of hope.

He tells of a third manifestation of God; the Counselor, the Spirit of Truth. This Counselor will come when Jesus has gone. He will make clear to us the teachings of Jesus. He is one with Jesus and Jesus is one with the Father. They are the same. They are one. They are God. I think that man has made the Doctrine of the Trinity very difficult to understand. God is pretty hard to understand without us making it harder...and that's okay with me. I don't really want a God that I can fully understand. If I can wrap this feeble and finite mind around an infinite God...well that wouldn't be much of a God, would it?

Something important I've learned:

We should not be surprised at spiritual battles that we face. Nor should we be surprised at social battles that we face because of our spiritual beliefs. Jesus told us plainly that these persecutions would come and some would come in the name of God.

The verse I liked best:

The last verse in the chapter: "I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world."

A question to consider:

When you are troubled, where do you turn to find peace?

John

No comments: