Friday, August 15, 2008

John 13

While there is much in John 13, the thing that stands out the most for me is the role of the servant that Jesus takes.

We often think that we are above doing certain tasks that are menial. We enjoy doing high profile work but not that which may go unnoticed. Jesus takes the role given to the lowest servant in the house. He washes the feet of the disciples. Maybe this is some more of that "last will be first" teaching. In any case, this is hardly the role for the Messiah!

Something important that I've learned:

I need to examine my own motives in Kingdom service. I know that I often find myself in leadership roles and doing noticeable ministry. Is this the nature of my calling or is is more the nature of wanting attention? How can I imitate Jesus as a Servant?

The verse I liked best:

Verse 14-16: " Now that I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also should wash one another's feet. I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you. I tell you the truth, no servant is greater than his master..."

A question to consider:

This chapter has stuff about Judas' betrayal and Peter's denial and I'm caught up in the servanthood of Jesus. I think that a big part of being a good church leader is being able to be a good Jesus follower. My question is: Are you (Am I) a good follower?

John

No comments: