Tuesday, September 29, 2026

Why are we so violent?

I just watched the Masters of the Universe movie.
He-Man and the Masters of the Universe was one of the cartoons that I would watch with my son when he was a young boy. I don't remember it being so violent.

Of course there seems to be a violence disconnect when it comes to cartoon characters vs actual people playing the parts. Somehow a cartoon character having an arm ripped off is less gory and bloody, so less violent, right?
A sword wielding cartoon character can slash and stab other cartoon characters and appear to be far less violent than a human actor doing the same thing.
Or maybe we just make an excuse for violence if the good guys win.

I understand the need for strength and that there are times when one might be left with no other choice than to fight back. I get the benefit of a strong military or the deterrent of a big force with big weapons. But when that force is used to intimidate and stoke fear then we are no better than the bullies that we tell our kids not to be.

We justify our love of violence by scripting the good guys as the winners.
In real life, as in the cartoons and movies, we tend to gloss over the losses of life and damage to property. We recognize sacrifice for a moment or observe a day annually, but the injustices and the violence continues as a way of life. Dying for the cause is just a part of living as the victors.

While The Masters of the Universe is a fairly recent film, I also finally got around to watching all four of the movies in The Hunger Games series -- another violent depiction of a dystopian world where the masses have final had enough and rise up and revolt against their oppressors. 
Again -- the good guys win so I guess the manipulation of the heroes and the violence is okay.

Damn
Life is pretty messed up sometimes.

John

1 comment:

DB Stewart said...

Well said. The way you deliberate about this topic speaks so well to our complicated relationship with violence as humans. I have a similar struggle with this topic, but my only hope is that pervasive violence in our entertainment is a cathartic way to explore it? discuss it? contain it?
Other than Spiderman, I've never been much into superhero films but I am a fan of the way violence and humanity is explored in the 28 film series, mostly directed by Danny Boyle.