I'm reading through a 2023 publication by Surgeon General Dr. Vivek Murthy entitled Our Epidemic of Loneliness and Isolation.
I have to admit that I find the information to be both concerning and yet somehow fascinating.
The reason I find it fascinating is likely because I should probably be more concerned about my very small circle of people and the simple fact that I enjoy being alone and don't feel lonely.
Is there a line where being alone crosses into being lonely?
How few people must one have to be lonely?
Certainly, it can't be a matter of trust because I really don't trust anyone.*
How is it that some of us can be alone and not lonely while others can surround themselves with their "friends" and experience great loneliness?
It seems that having some connection with others is more important than being with others.
And we are becoming a very disconnected society. People from all ages and backgrounds are disconnected and lonely. Social media has created a kind of trap that not only isolates people, but also gives us a negative image of ourselves by comparing us to non-existent realities and expectations of others.
Even though the internet can be a great place to meet people and connect, great care must be taken because it is also filled with predators seeking to exploit the loneliness of others from young teens to vulnerable senior citizens.
If you were alone (I'm assuming you are not), where would you go to make connections?
I don't go to school and don't have kids in school.
I don't go to church.
I'm not much of a bar/pub guy.
And I'm pretty low tech.
Where would a person like me go or what could I do to find connections?
Do we (that are not lonely) have a social obligation to be aware of the loneliness that exists around us and to help people find meaningful relationships with others?
The article calls it an epidemic.
How should we address it?
How do we cure it?
John
*Actually, I trust that everyone will do whatever they think is best for themselves at that moment.
Saturday, September 26, 2026
Is Loneliness a Health Concern?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment