Friday, September 18, 2026

Good Health and Happy Living

Yesterday was my annual physical.
Although I remain pretty healthy for a fat, old guy (personal assessment, not a professional one), there are still many areas of life that could use vast improvement.

My blood pressure was unusually high yesterday morning and even on normal days needs medication to achieve safe numbers. Much of that could be managed by losing weight.
Losing weight could be managed by eating less, eating better, and moving more.

I got my annual encouragement to give up my cigars. 
I haven't been smoking as often this year (typically 3 or 4 per week), but still enjoy the vice in spite of the simple fact that there isn't any healthy benefit from it.
A pour of bourbon or tequila and a cigar are not a daily habit, but it happens frequently enough because it just feels like a right way to observe the completion of another day as I contemplate my blessings and privilege.

Honestly, there are a lot of things about aging that I really don't like.
On the other hand, old age is a privilege realized by far too few people and is usually missed due to our own poor lifestyle choices.
Healthy for a fat, old guy isn't the great assessment I'd like for it to be. It is more of an indictment of the poor choices I've made. 

Eat, drink, and be merry is great for the moment, but the bill always needs to be settled at some point.
I am certain that plenty of damage has been done. I am equally certain that making good choices today will begin to pay off in the future. 

Here's to good health and happy living!

John

No comments: