Saturday, August 13, 2022

Books

What are you reading?
I just finished the book The Measure by Nikki Erlick. 
It's a pretty good book and reaches into many different facets of life.

It covers some of the deep philosophical questions of life as well as touching on how we deal with oppression, injustice, discrimination, power, and yes--love. 
While the Bible says that the days of man are numbered, it doesn't tell us the number of days in each individual life. What if it did?

Would you want to know when you are going to die?
And how would that change how you live?

Those are the two questions presented in the book The Measure.
On the 22nd birthday, every person in the world mysteriously receives a box. Inside the box is a string that indicates the length of their life. Would you open it?

I can see this book as a great read for a book club. Getting together to discuss the choices made by the characters in the book, as well as the choices made by governments and society, would make for an interesting exchange of thoughts and ideas. 

It was recommended to me by a friend, and I am going to pass the recommendation on to you. It's a little weird that the book is both uplifting and a little depressing. At times it gives me hope in humanity and at other times it displays the lowest character of our species. 
And while the author has an impressive writing background, this is her debut novel.
Well done, Ms. Erlick! 
Well done.

John 

PS: I used the read for free option--my local library!

1 comment:

Mike said...

I would open it for sure and live my life accordingly.