Friday, January 07, 2022

Breakfast Challenge

Try my fried oatmeal.
It's a fairly simple to make, healthy breakfast food and easily modified for my vegan friends.

Smash a ripe banana into a gooey paste
Add 1/2 cup of old fashioned oats, 1/4 cup of crushed walnuts, a sprinkle of cinnamon, and an optional dash of vanilla.
Mix well.

I make two small cakes (easier to flip than one large one--ask me how I know) and fry them on a griddle with melted butter. I never time it;  I just go by what feels right, turn them once, and cook them some more.
I serve mine with fresh fruit and a drizzle of honey.

For vegan--just sub the butter with a vegetable oil or coconut oil, and the honey with some maple syrup.
Oats are naturally gluten free, but if you need to be gluten free, make sure the oats you buy are certified that way since most are processed in plants that also process wheat and aren't consider gluten free due to possible contamination.

Pretty darned tasty!


Try it and let me know what you think.

John

2 comments:

Mike said...

When I come to your new double mega-mansion will you make that for me?

John A Hill said...

Mike,
If I own that mega-mansion, we'll have the cook make it!