Thursday, May 06, 2021

Preparing for Something New

It's Thursday afternoon and I am relaxing on the deck with some easy listening music and a good cigar. Hopefully, that doesn't surprise anybody that knows me. I spent a few hours working in the yard and getting connected to nature. Now I am mentally preparing myself for Thursday night barchurch.

Tonight is a welcome back kind of evening after we have been doing barchurch via online streaming for most of the past year. It will be different than it has been in the past. Staff changes at The Venues means that the teaching will be different and with new staff will come a new style and a different personality for the weekly downtown gathering.

The reason I need the time to prepare for tonight is that I really want to be able to appreciate the new without making comparisons to the old. Barchurch has been my go to midweek charging place for a few years now. We have had to make changes and adaptations in the past. We've changed the teaching personalities and we've changed the location. Each change brings a different vibe and reaches people in different ways. I'm sure that this will be another shift in how it feels to me and to others that come.

A part of me is concerned that I'm going to miss the old energy and may not make a good connection with the new. I want to be open to a new and different kind of barchurch experience and really need to see it as something new and not make unfair comparisons to what was. Perhaps the well known quote of Theodore Roosevelt is appropriate for me as we move forward in a new direction.


  
John

1 comment:

Mike said...

The only constant is change.