Tuesday, May 04, 2021

Changing My Mind

Okay - not really changing my mind, more like changing how I see things and how I think.
Changing my perspective.
Changing my mind would be much easier.

If you know me at all or have been reading my ramblings for any length of time, you already know that my general opinion of people is that people mostly suck. I suppose that believing people suck works for an evangelist as people sucking at life is a good reason to get them to believe in something or someone that doesn't actually suck. Nobody wants to suck at living, especially if that seems to be a sure way to end up in hell after being judged by a loving god that created us to suck at living (sarcasm intended)!

Do you see the problem of American evangelism?
We teach about being created in sin, being totally depraved, being evil from birth and then also say that God doesn't create junk.
What?!

What if people don't suck?
What if people are generally good, but we have been taught that we suck by people that are trying to control us?
What if God really made us in the image of the Divine and we -- every single one of us -- is basically a good person that just needs to recognize our goodness (or our Godness) and work on becoming more like God?

What if that whole idea of a Doctrine of Original Sin is just some fourth century bullshit to get people to need the church? If we need the church, then we'll follow rules, give money, serve willingly, and become a part of the grandest idolatry that man has ever conceived and conned others into following, right?

If we were to believe that God is a part of who we are, and if God guides us to love and care for each other and the world around us, then we don't really need a church organization to separate us from one another and stir up hate, discontent, and disharmony. Mankind has gone so far beyond separating us into good and evil, saved and lost, heaven bound and hell bound -- that we can't even agree on how good people are supposed to worship the God of the Christ followers! 
Current estimates are that around 200 different Christian denominations exist in the US and as many as 45,000 worldwide! If we have disagreements, we just declare others as heretics and start our own religion.

In John's Gospel Jesus says that God is looking for those that worship him is spirit and in truth. I've long taught that if you are looking for God and not having much luck, stop looking for God and start worshiping him -- and God will come find you.
In Romans, Paul teaches that God is found in all of creation.
It's so weird that I find it easier to see God in the finches nesting in our hanging ferns than in the people blocking the aisle at the grocery store. If man is God's greatest creation, why am I finding it so difficult to see God in my fellow humans?

Is this the problem?
We have convinced ourselves (and each other) that we are all vile and in need of saving?
What if we don't need to be saved from God?
What if God sees us just as he created us to be?
Could it be that we really need to be saved from -- each other?
I don't know.

What I do know is that I am really trying to see people as good people. Sure, some may be a bit misguided, but still basically good. I'll be honest -- I'm struggling. But because I truly believe it's the right thing to do, I'm going to stick with it.

You are good!
You and I are the image bearers of God.
We should start acting like it.


John

2 comments:

Mike said...

"being created in sin, being totally depraved, being evil from birth"
I never believed that BS.

Dylan B. Raines said...

Yeah, we should al probably just stop believing that we suck. Sounds like a sucky belief.