Thursday, October 27, 2022

No More Barchurch

It's kind of sad.
Tonight seems like a sort of farewell to barchurch.
Maybe it is time.

It has certainly changed quite a bit over the few years that it existed.
Its location has changed.
Its leadership has changed.
Its format has changed.
Its audience has changed.

Maybe the time for a downtown presence of The Venues has also changed.
The new format will be a monthly community connection with various movers and shakers in the Springfield area - I think.

There was a time when I really felt that our barchurch gathering was more spiritually beneficial to me than the regular Sunday gathering. It just felt like Jesus visiting with people in town instead of going to church or synagogue.
A little live music. A brief message. A beer with friends.
And it was all pretty low-tech.
It seemed very organic and natural.
It felt connected to each other and to God.
It felt safe. 

I feel like such an old guy to say that I miss that.
I am not opposed to change and I am very much in favor of adapting so that others can find their connection to God. My own faith and connection to God has undergone some changes over the past decade or so and I'm comfortable working that out on my own, but there is still a part of me that wants to help others make their own connection with God.
Somehow I think that the original intent of bringing the presence of God to the downtown community changed into just another trendy place for a small group of our larger church community to gather.

I'm not saying that the changes are either good or bad. Change happens.
I don't speak for The Venues, nor do I have any input into how it is managed or presented to the community. These are just my own thoughts and observations.
Tonight I will meet with a few friends at Mothers Brewery and raise a parting glass to my old friend, Barchurch.
And also to whatever is ahead for Downtown Venues.

John




2 comments:

Mike said...

"A little live music. A brief message. A beer with friends."
Exactly.

Jodi Meadows said...

Wow! Big news!