Monday, October 17, 2022

Brrrrrr... (and what you can do about it)

I have a few words for all of you fall lovers,
...but it is best if I don't post them!

It's in the 30s this morning (that's just above freezing for the rest of the world) and will dip well below the freezing point for the next two nights! The high temperatures for the next few days may mean having to turn on the effing heat already, or at the very least--lighting the fireplace. 
It's only mid-October for crying outloud!

This morning I'm sitting inside for my coffee and quiet time because I'd have to dress in sweats and a jacket if I went out onto the deck!
sigh

As if winter isn't bad enough on its own, over the past few years I have found additional reasons to dislike the cold weather. According to data collected by The Connecting Grounds, there are around 2400 people in Springfield MO without regular or permanent shelter. This includes people that often stay in small motels, couch surf with friends or relatives, sleep in their cars or vehicles, and nearly 800 that are simply living (and sleeping) on the streets.
The Springfield area crisis cold weather shelters open from November 1st until the end of April whenever the temperature is forecast to be below freezing, so they aren't even open yet for the coming below freezing nights. The number of available beds in the crisis cold weather shelters is around 125. That leaves over a thousand people sleeping outside or in their cars!

I don't know what the statistics are in your area. I don't think that ours are unusually high for cities the size of Springfield (I may be wrong on that). I do believe that Springfield ignores the problem and does far less than other cities when it comes to care for the unsheltered community. Most of the work that is done is provided by (and often is opposed by the city) the faith community of several local churches. 
I might add that it is a pretty small number of churches that participate from this bible belt community. The large, evangelical churches are virtually invisible when it comes to caring for the hungry and homeless in our area.
If only Jesus would have said something about this!

What can you do?
First - you can volunteer. Find a place in your local area that needs volunteers to feed and shelter people during the winter. Sign up for one night per week or a couple of nights per month.
Second - contribute. Shelters are in need of blankets, food, medical supplies, hothands, socks, coats, gloves, etc. Contact providers in your area and see what they need. Many have Amazon shopping lists so you can order online and your purchases will be delivered directly to the shelters or service providers.

And just find a way to show you care.  

It's going to be a long winter. I'm a little depressed about it. I should make plans to go back to Mexico, but instead I'm making plans to be here and working with others in the cold weather shelters. If you live in the area and want to volunteer or contribute in some way, drop me a message and I'll see if I can point you in the right direction.

John

1 comment:

Mike said...

I turned my furnace on for the first time today.