Friday, October 21, 2022

About that job...

For the past two cold weather seasons, I have served as a volunteer at a Springfield Crisis Cold Weather Shelter (CCWS). There are several in the area that are staffed and primarily funded by local churches. The majority of the staffing is done by volunteers, but there are a few paid positions. Though I was primarily a volunteer last year, I did fill in for a paid staffer on a couple of occasions. The city's part of the CCWS program runs from November 1st through March 31st. They provide bus transportation to and from the shelters and (perhaps) help with some funding. I'm not really certain about the funding part. The shelter where I've served will have one paid overnight position for the entire time and two from Dec 1st through the end of February when there are more cold nights. 

They still had some people to interview when I left, but I think I'm in for the shorter (Dec-Feb) part. Although it means staying in the Midwest through the coldest months, it does have its benefits. 
The people that I've worked with at the shelters are the best. 
And the churches that give their space and resources are doing the things Jesus talked about--giving shelter to the homeless, feeding the hungry, clothing the poor. It is a blessing to be a part of faith communities that honor their teachings of loving your neighbors.

Yeah, I do hope they hire me for the paid gig, but the truth of the matter is that even if they decided to hire somebody else, I'll still be there most weeks as a volunteer. 

Now you know...

John

No comments: