Monday, October 24, 2022

I was with people and it was okay

 Yeah, I went to the city wide training for the Crisis Cold Weather Shelters tonight and it was actually a good time. I got to see a number of the people that worked at the same shelter as I did last year and look forward to working with them again. It looks like we have added a couple of faith communities into the fold and will be able to offer more beds and warm sleeping areas on the coldest of nights this winter.

The shelter where I will be working will have an orientation and set-up night prior to opening for the cold weather season. I know that we still need a number of volunteers to help each night the shelters are open.
Our shelter uses two people that stay overnight. A split shift is available if you want to share the night with somebody. Plus we need an additional two people from 7 to 10 for set-up and check-in, and a couple of people in the morning from 6-8 for clean-up.
We also need 1 person to pick-up dirty linens and deliver them to the laundry and return with the clean linens from the previous day.
Our shelter also takes pets, but the city buses don't, so we need pet transporters in both the evening and the morning. It takes a team of 10-12 volunteers to make it work every night the shelters are open. It works out really well if there is a large volunteer pool and each worker only has to work one or two nights per week.

I really can't begin to tell you how much you will gain by giving of yourself as a volunteer. It has really been one of the best things I've ever done.
I showed up at The Connecting Grounds a couple of years ago and Pastor Christie and Bob put me to work. Then I showed up a second night and it was like I just belonged there. The third night Pastor Christie just smiled and said, "I've got you, don't I?"

There is so much to be done and I volunteered in a lot of places before really finding my spot at the overnight shelters. This year I'll actually be working as one of the paid staff, but I don't think it will change much of what I do or the attitude that I bring to the job. You should come work with me some night.

If you'd like to help at any of the shelters (ours is really the best) let me know and I'll get you the info you need. We also need coffee, tea, hot chocolate mix, sugar, creamer, breakfast bars, oatmeal packets, snacks and food. 
Winter clothing like gloves, hats, coats, leggings, socks, etc., are also big need items. If you want to make donations I can direct you on that as well.

I wish there wasn't this huge need, but there is.
I am so grateful for the faith communities and the volunteers that make themselves available to serve.
Come join us!
You'll be glad you did.

John

1 comment:

Mike said...

"Winter clothing like..." I'll have to see if I can put together a carload.