Monday, November 16, 2020

More on Storytime with John

It's been a few years ago that I was preaching (about this time of year) at a rural church here in Missouri. It was a pretty informal Sunday night setting and I was just sharing a few thoughts about reading the bible. I asked the question of the small congregation -- What's your favorite bible story and why?
I enjoy hearing the whys and will usually offer my own reasons for liking a mentioned story. On this particular night, one of the women said her favorite story was the story of Ruth. Ruth was my chosen story for that night. 

The Old Testament story of Ruth is an unusual story to use as an introduction to the liturgical season of Advent. In fact, I don't know of anyone else that has done that. I don't generally use a lot of notes when story telling, and if I do, I rarely keep them. So on Thursday evening when I share this story as a pre-Christmas kind of story, it will be like telling an old story with a fresh outlook. 

If you'd like to join us for a little music and a story, we'll be here at 6:30 on Thursday night. You might want to re-familiarize yourself with the story of Ruth. It's only four chapters long and you can probably finish it in 15-20 minutes. If you happen to be in the Springfield area and want to join us in person, be sure to bring your mask. The bar is open.

John

No comments: